Custom Search

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Walkway Wildlife 4

I'm not going to belabour you with all the birds I see on my morning strolls along the West Bay and West Song Walkways as there are many, but these are one of the largest and most common, our own Canada Goose. Like the deer pictured yesterday they are considered to be a pest by some people but having harmless wildlife in the city seems like a privilege to me. With many species going extinct due to human behaviour, animals who have managed to learn how to survive with us in harmony should be treasured. People complain about the mess these geese make but when I get home from a walk I more often have to clean my shoes of dog messes than of anything these geese leave.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

I beg to differ with your saying the geese are harmless. They can be extremely mean. I've always been afraid to be around geese...I was walking near my office back in WA and passed some geese and they came at me rather menacingly.

William Kendall said...

I've never had a problem with them, though I know they can be territorial at certain times of the year. With any animal, it's a good idea to pay attention to their body language.

Mike Laplante said...

Some of our local parks are virtually unusable thanks to the goose crap everywhere. And they are the number one reason our local beaches are frequently closed due to high fecal counts.
It's not a benign problem.
Whether it's cats,deer,rabbits, or geese, animal populations left unchecked as nature intended are the cause of all sorts of environmental damage.