Custom Search

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

At the Feeder

Fern recently installed a bird feeder in the back yard and I took some time yesterday to observe the surprisingly busy traffic. As well as trying out some new shooting techniques it also enabled me to continue with my quest to learn to distinguish all those little brown birds that populate our environment. Below are four that I have tentatively identified. If you're a birder, please feel free to correct me as I'm still not very confident when it comes to these little brown birds.

Mistakenly identified as a Pine Siskin. (See note * below)
House Finch
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
* Re: Top left photo - The Pine Siskin is similar to this but after looking at various field guides I feel quite sure this is actually a female House Finch. The red-capped male House Finches are relatively easy to id and since they are regular visitors in the same flocks, this adds additional weight to the case for this being a female of the species.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

I would love to put a feeder out; maybe then I'd get to see a cardinal. They never come to my yard. My mom's got loads of them.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

I see so many birds, but actually identifying them is another story...

Dean Lewis said...

Birdfeeders are great, and what seeds or nuts are put out will determine who shows up.