Custom Search

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Nodding Onion (Allium cernuum)

While out at Esquimalt Lagoon recently I came across two kinds of small pink flowers growing near to each other. One was easy to identify - the Nodding Onion (Allium cernuum) pictured above. It's a kind of wild onion that grows all over North America and was gathered and eaten by First Nations people. There is a larger version that is often grown as an ornamental in gardens. The other kind of pink flower I saw that day is proving harder to identify but I'm working on it and will share a photo when I can put a name to it.

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

I always like that shade of violet in a plant. Didn't know it applied to onions...

Stephanie said...

Cool!

JoJo said...

I have a similar flower next to the front steps but they are dark purple.