Custom Search

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Early Bloomers

I was a little afraid that my trip to India meant that I missed the splendid progression of wildflowers that blooms here in the spring. So it was with some trepidation that I ventured out yesterday to nearby Highrock Park, a little oasis of Garry Oak Ecosystem here in Vic West, to see how far along spring has gotten. I was happy to see that of the early bloomers, these lovely little lilies were most prominent and that the dense stands of deep blue Camas Lilies are yet to come. Today's photo is of the Giant White Fawn Lily (Erythronium oregonum). I have featured these before in springs gone by. I have added the photo on the left to show the beautifully patterned leaves that give this lily its name. The brownish patterns are thought to resemble the dappled coats of fawns.

3 comments:

SRQ said...

Very pretty. And, interesting info about the name.

JoJo said...

What a pretty little flower!

Anonymous said...

here is what is happening in america now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIsVZwa6RW8&feature=player_embedded