Custom Search

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Signal Crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus)

Until my recent visit to the Sooke Potholes I didn't know that we had crayfish in this area. I always thought they were only to be found in the southern USA. These were caught to show to some young children and I happened to be nearby. Although they are edible they were released shortly after this photo was taken. Crayfish are apparently very sensitive to pollution so it was nice to see them in the Sooke River, which is fed by a reservoir that provides Victoria's tap water. These crayfish were about the size of a little finger. I think they are probably Signal Crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus).

5 comments:

JoJo said...

I saw some crayfish in a fresh water pond on Cape Cod once when I was little. No one would believe me till one of the adults waded in and confirmed it. Like you, I thought they were warm water creatures, but I guess one branch of the family has adapted to cooler climates.

lizziviggi said...

Yes, I didn't know we had crayfish up here until last summer. Now I know to look for them every time I swim in Lake Whatcom, since that's where our drinking water comes from! When they disappear from there, I'll stop drinking from it.

paul said...

Gorgeous picture of life in a fish tank. Light, shadows, and interesting creatures.

Dana said...

Thanks for mentioning the scale, too! From the photo (and having no clue about crayfish), I thought they were big like lobsters. Now I know.

Dean Lewis said...

It is remarkable how very much like lobsters these guys are, in everyway but size, and being freshwater species as well.