Custom Search

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Exotic Vegetables

Another aspect of Chinatown that I like is the way that stores spread their wares out into the street, especially produce as pictured above. And in Chinatown there are always those mystery vegetables whose use and flavors are known only to Chinese cooks. There are a couple of other reasons why I often photograph Chinatown, besides its appealing colors and sights. First, I pass through it almost every day on my way through downtown. More importantly, I mentioned before that I have a special fondness for things Chinese so as an example, today I will post a photo of the top of my fridge where I have been putting the overflow of the kind of stuff I collect. See below. (OK, I know the sharp-eyed amongst you will have noticed a couple of pieces of Satsuma there but it's nice and the one on the left is fake Satsuma, made in China. [The one on the right is probably a mass-produced fake too but it's a better fake.])

3 comments:

Jabba said...

That is something I've noticed here - there aren't many smaller grocery shops that put a their produce/flowers out on the street. Is it me, am I just not looking in the right spots?

Leif Hagen said...

Delicious Chinese food market photo! Fun, weird vegetables!

Kcalpesh said...

Being a vegetarian and a vegetable lover, I really find this scene more than exotic! My mom would go crazy looking at so many vegetables to choose from!

- Pixellicious Photos