Custom Search

Friday, February 20, 2009

Street Furniture V - Benches 1

Looking like something out of a fairy tale, the above is a detail from what you get when you involve community artists and artisans in the production of street furniture. It's a cob bench located in Victoria West just above Banfield Park. It was put together by the Vic West community and resides in the Vic West community garden.The benches to the right and left are the City of Victoria's latest benches, in what I think of as the prison modern style
Below is a wider angle photo of the Vic West cob bench. there are several other cob benches in the city and I will add photos of them as I locate them.

8 comments:

raf said...

That is truly one very cool bench. Beautiful, functional and inviting. Always a joy to see such positive results from community efforts like that. Look forward to seeing the others cob benches too.
Interesting series, Benjamin.

cieldequimper said...

Excellent! Adds so much fun to everyday life!

Wayne said...

How did you get those two small photos arranged like that. The last time I tried that sort of thing I couldn't do it.

Of course I tend to give up pretty quickly.

Benjamin Madison said...

Raf and Ciel, thanks. I am amazed at how lovely these cob benches are.

Wayne: the photos are arranged in a table with three cells. If you look at the page and select "view source" or "view page source" from your browser's VIEW menu you can see the code. Real code junkies would be disgusted as this is an old fashioned html way of organizing stuff on a page....

USelaine said...

I love the matte finish punctuated by the shiny stuff, and the colors are splendid!

Mountainboy said...

I could see myself sat there reading no trouble at all!

Kim said...

"Prison Modern"! LOL! Sitting on them I think of this type as George Foreman grills for humans. You get up and your backsides look like pannini :-). Your light was so beautiful in the shots for the more organic team effort bench. Wow! Just a gorgeous detail shot.
-Kim

Babzy.B said...

This bench is magic, very poetic ,i would love to have one in my city !