Custom Search

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Winter Light

As winter deepens the sun stays low in the sky even in mid-afternoon and casts long dark shadows. Here the ornate roof of the Chinese Public School adds an exotic touch to this rooftop view over downtown Victoria.

***********************

I just came across an interesting photography link. But look out, you can get lost for hours.... (We are talking millions of photographs here!)

All of photographs in the Life Magazine archives have been made available through Google. For those of you who may not be familiar with Life Magazine, it was one of the greatest American magazines during the last century and was especially noted for the quality of its photographs. The archive contains photos dating back to the 1870's and many famous photographers are represented.

Here is a clickable link to it: http://images.google.com/hosted/life

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the chinese roof in the foreground the colour is beautiful !

MurciaDailyPhoto said...

So, the picture of the roof is of Life Magazine? If not, should be released because of the quality of the picture.

Wayne said...

I've never noticed that roof before. Thanks for the link Benjamin I'll check it out one of these cold, wet, winter days.

USelaine said...

I'm afraid to look! (Did I say, LOOK? Wrong magazine, then.) But I love your rooftop. It seems to pierce the heavens.

Laurie Allee said...

That link is going to keep me up all night!!! Wow.

I love this shot. Often a film with a summer beach shot from Malibu will have the sun in the wrong place on the coastline, and all the long shadows of autumn. I always notice autumn light! You captured it so well here.

Diederick Wijmans said...

A really very beautiful shot, Benjamin!!

raf said...

Thanks for the link, Ben....I think. Striking image!