Custom Search

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Elderberries

Here's another image from my afternoon in Mount Douglas Park, elderberries. I suspect this is Pacific Coast Red Elder but there are a quite a few varieties of elder and I am never sure. Taxonomists please feel free to correct me. When I lived in the interior of BC we used to gather wild black elderberries and make a fruit syrup from them. Delicious. It seems the red ones are poisonous but I find their color combination of scarlet and purple very attractive.

2 comments:

USelaine said...

I know nothing of elderberries, so you'll get no help from me. The colors and focus are lovely.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I didn't know the red ones were poisonous, mostly, we have the black/blue ones in my part of the world. I remember getting use scissors as a child to help clip the berries from the stems while my mom made elderberry wine - which was a disaster. The bottles exploded months later.