Custom Search

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Victoria Day Weekend 1

Victoria Day is a nation-wide holiday in Canada, now celebrated on the last Monday before May 24th, which was Queen Victoria's birthday. Probably nowhere in Canada is it celebrated with such fervor, however, as here in the city that bears her name. There are so many events that it is difficult to know where to go or what to look at and photo opportunities are everywhere. Today we have the Highland Games and to celebrate that as well as to doff my hat in memory of Queen Victoria's long time Scottish companion, John Brown, I offer a photo of a bagpiper playing above the Inner Harbour Causeway. Click the video below to hear a sample of his music.

6 comments:

Knoxville Girl said...

I love the pipes (even though I'm not of Scots descent). I hear a lot of them in my town because many of the folks in the area are of Scots- Irish families. Happy Victoria Day to you.

Tanya Breese said...

I'm so happy that your photo came with video! I love to hear the bagpipes! Is that the Empress Hotel by any chance in the background? I was in Victoria when I was about 16 and that building looks familiar, but then 16 was a long time back! But I do remember that we thought Victoria was a wonderful and beautiful city!

Benjamin Madison said...

Yes, I like the pipes too. Thanks KG - I'm enjoying this weekend so far - the big parade is tomorrow....

Tanya, yes that is the Empress Hotel in the background. I'm glad you have happy memories of Victoria.

USelaine said...

Keep an eye out for blogger Chuck of Seattle - he's among that Vespa/scooter group you mentioned in Knoxville.

I'm glad your piper didn't play Amazing Grace - that always makes me tear up. That is a fun video.

Knoxville Girl said...

Benjamin - I've been following Chuck's scooter adventures too - what a small world! That's why I enjoy CDPB. Also, Scotland the Brave! I went to a wedding where the bride was piped in to that tune.

Kris McCracken said...

The long line of Scots on both sides of my family has ensured that I have a fondness for the bagpipes. Where I will encourage my son to play them, well, that is another matter...