Custom Search

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Yellow Peppers

OK, here's a confession. I don't like cloudy, cold damp weather. I know that good photographers say that bad weather is a blessing because it provides all sorts of interesting lighting and dramatic skies and discourages dilettantes, but I like sunny skies and bright colors anyway. I have to search really deeply inside me to find anything inspiring about a landscape that looks like it has had all the life and color drained out of it by forty days of drizzle. In the midst of yesterday's downpours I happened upon this bit of sidewalk sunshine, some glowing yellow peppers provided by the Ambrosio Market in Cook Street Village here in Victoria.

The photo below is what the weather was really like yesterday at the foot of Government Street, where it meets the Inner Harbour. This vicious driving rain turned sleety while being photographed.... This is March.
Those of you who are watching this blog with eagle-eyed interest may have noted that yesterday's photo ("Big sky...." below) was uploaded not by myself (Benjamin Madison) but by the "Front St Gang." The latter is my daughter, Fern Long, who has kindly agreed to contribute some of her fine photos to this blog.

3 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

I don't like cloudy weather either (and we rarely get dramatic skies out here when it's gray and damp). Those orange peppers look so good (I could turn a few of them into a spicy peperonata :). Gorgeous horse chestnut trees!

Re: your question about my camera, it actually does have a regular view finder. If you click the camera photo on my sidebar, you'll see what it looks like from the other side. I always use the viewfinder and never, ever, the LCD. I wouldn't get a single sharp, well focused photo if I did.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

I'm here again, this time to answer the question you actually asked... :)

Yes, my camera has an electronic viewfinder and it's a very good one: high-resolution with diopter, eliminates parallax and shows control settings superimposed over the scene. You also get a 100% field of view.

Anonymous said...

I like cloudy, cold damp weather and I like sunny skies and bright colors. I like very much these images and I love the first photo of this entry. It is simple and the colors are beautiful.
Saludos, Mariana C.